Monday, June 18, 2012

Yum, Yum




Saturday we didn't sleep in. We headed to town to the Farmers market. My cousin Kitts had been telling me on Facebook she would have fresh butchered organic chickens. 


The market had lots of organic meats, grains, and produce. You could even get a 10 minute chair massage there. I don't know what that had to do with going green.





Sunday Kitts made the local newspaper!  Now I knew organic meant high prices. But I wasn't ready for the sticker shock, because I didn't do the math when I saw they were $4.00 a pound, and they weighed at least 4 lbs. You do the math, I just can't bring myself to say what two 4 pound chickens at 4.00 a pound added up to. 


Let's just say we were going to eat high on the hog chicken.


So for Father's day we invited the neighbor son and family over for dinner. Two fried chickens were on the menu. 


Now could we tell a difference in the chicken?  You bet your booty we could. I noticed right away when I cut it up, there was no fat layer under the skin on the thighs. There were no dark bones. There were no bloody joints. As for the taste . . . there is no comparison. It was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!


So if you get a chance, go for the organic, fresh, never frozen, chickens. If you are local you can purchase it on Saturdays at the Lincoln University Farmer's Market.

10 comments:

Dar said...

The chicken sounds wonderful. I bought some split chicken breasts at the local supermarket this weekend too, and it was 3.89/pd. and I know it wasn't as good as yours.

Marge said...

Hi Patti,

Yes, there sure is a difference, isn't there! I think if I could start over, I would live where I could raise chickens, for eggs and for meat. It is so expensive to buy those wonderful fresh things, but so worth it! Add in the fresh garden produce and you have a meal for kings!

Doreen said...

We used to raise chickens (eggs/meat) and the results were delicious! It is difficult at this point 'cuz we are gone a bit in the summer and no one is near to take over. We do have a very good network of organic farms in the area who market through the coop in La Crosse, WI, so access is there!!! Thanks for the great post! Hugs,D

Flat Creek Farm said...

Looks yummy! -T

Lise said...

Nothing can compare to home raised (or freshly hunted) food...meats, veggies, fruits...once you've had it you will never go back, LOL!

Diana LaMarre said...

Yum! I never make fried chicken, so I rarely get to eat it. When I do it's a real treat. I bet your organic birds were delish!

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I haven't yet been able to bring myself to pay the $4.00 (or more) dollars a pound for local, free-range, organic chicken. I do buy the $2.49/lb organic, free-range chicken at Trader Joe's.

It's not local, and I'm not sure how exacting their standards are for free-range and organic labeling, but I do know it is superior to anything in the regular grocery stores. It not only tastes better and looks better, it smells better straight out of the wrapper, too.

Same thing with the pork we get from a local farmer and the deer that Shane kills and processes himself. It's just so much better than what's available in the store.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

The fresh, organic chicken sounds good. It sure is hard to find good chicken in the supermarket that isn't so big and fat. And there's no comparison in the taste, I know.

KatyTrailCreations said...

Do I see a few chickens in the pen at your place? jk

Deanna said...

That makes me want to raise chickens.... almost...

It look and sounds delicious. I may have to spring for some myself!