Wednesday, October 15, 2014

I fell off the wagon again.

Yes it happened again.  I now own another vintage sewing machine.  As mentioned in this post dated September 8, I really didn't think I needed another machine.

However thanks to social media (face book messenger) I got word from my friend Sue, that the local Goodwill had this old machine. 

I really knew nothing about a Willcox & Gibbs machine. I emailed my sewing machine friend/expert Phil. He told me they were a late 1800 machine and if I didn't want it he would take it. 

At 8:55 this morning, the blacksmith and I were sitting in our truck on the parking lot of the Goodwill store waiting for their 9 AM opening. 


Here it is, still in it's original floor model cabinet. According to the dating information we found on line, this one was made about 1912.  These are chain stitch machines. After oiling and very carefully/cautiously plugging it in, it was running. It is very quiet just as the book claims. It will get new electrical cords.

Alex Askaroff has a great article about these machines.


 There were 2 books inside the cabinet.


 Look at this neat foot pedal! It weighs over 6 pounds


The sewing plate is so cool too.

Look at the  Willcox and Gibbs medallion, isn't it beautiful?

A close up of the motor.

14 machines and holding.

Bye for now.  I'm climbing back onto the wagon!


5 comments:

Nancy said...

Very cute! I am thinking of selling my Featherweight. Any idea where I can go online to find out what it is worth?

Down On The Farm said...

Good for you!! It is obvious you enjoy these old machines. I am certain there are MUCH worse vices to have than collecting vintage sewing machines!! One question, do you actually use these older machines? Do you sew with them or do you just keep them because you like them?? Just curious! Have a blessed day!! Enjoying our beautiful fall days. Sure hope the Cardinals can keep it alive tonight. I was VERY FRUSTRATED with them last night :)!

StitchinByTheLake said...

You certainly couldn't pass that by! I love it.....blessings, marlene

jerilanders said...

This one is adorable. I want it! I swear, these old machines are so beautiful it is no wonder you collect them. I've started a collection of the old children's machines because they take up less room, but your collection is so impressive, I wish I could see it in person.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Super nifty.. love all the details! Somehow I don't believe you when you say you are climbing back on the wagon?? ;) hope to see your collection soon! -Tammy